Sunday, July 3, 2016

Bascillica of Sts. Peter and Paul




The Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Lewiston Maine is a beautiful and imposing structure.  The city has grown up so much so there are times where the city buildings block out the views of the cathedral despite its location high up on a hill.  Still you can’t help but notice the spires of the towers if you spend any amount of time in Lewiston and much of Auburn as well.

A few nights ago, I searched for a spot to paint the Cathedral at night.  I completed this quick sketch in the parking lot of a convenience store.  It was a very active neighborhood, but I was able to complete this on location charcoal sketch.  A few days later, I went to a location closer to the cathedral and completed this watercolor sketch.

Much of the cathedral is blocked from view by apartment buildings and the like.  Something about an old filling station in the neighborhood struck me, so I made a few quick color and structural notes for later use.  The grandeur of the cathedral juxtaposed with the dilapidated condition of the still working gas station told a story to me.  Both institutions played a very important role in the creation of the fabric of the surrounding communities.  This cathedral was built with both the labor and the donations of the hard working immigrants who made Lewiston and Auburn their home.  Each one supporting the other. 



These are both just quick studies but it was very energizing to get out sketching on location.  I decided very quickly to avoid getting trapped by too much detail in the face of the cathedral.  Not really a difficult choice for me, but I still needed to make a concious choice to go for the broad effect as this is a very complex subject.

The Cathedral changes so much in the changing light that it will certainly be worth going back to make more detailed studies in changing light.






No comments:

Post a Comment