Tuesday, July 12, 2016

fallen branch trinity college




It wasn’t until I saw some of Andrew Wyeth’s works in person at the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, that I was truly moved by his artwork.  Reproductions simply don’t do his work justice.  His work is so subtle yet incredibly powerful.  For myself, I prefer more color and a broader scene as a subject.  But by really studying a subject, I know I’ve now gained an appreciation for how easy it is to get lost in any subject. 

For instance, I’ve spent countless hours observing the ocean along Maine’s coast – particularly during storms.  Haven’t painted many seascapes yet – but that is another story for another day.  What I’m beginning to understand, is that the same complexity of color, detail, nuance, composition, that can be found in a coastal scene can be found in a tidal pool, or a large rock in a field, or, in this case I decided to do the sketch above.  Something that would have held no interest for me in the past.  It was between my daughters field hockey games at Trinity College.  The players and parents were seeking relief from the heat on the fields beneath this tree.

In no way, shape, or form, am I attempting to equate myself with Andrew Wyeth – but he did inspire me to try something different.  To pay attention to, literally, what was directly in front of me. I wondered what I’d learn from trying this.

I found myself totally engrossed at the subject.  A few people came over and asked if I’d mind if they took a look at what I was drawing.  I didn’t mind.  Their comments were pleasant and polite.  They were surprised by my choice of subject and did share that surprise with me.

I was fascinated by the pattern of shadows on the lawn that ran uphill to the fence surrounding the field hockey fields.    The body language and expressions of the players and parents told another story entirely, and I’ll focus on those types of gestural drawings at another time.

I’ve already noticed how this exercise is informing my use of shadows in drawings and paintings and the importance of shadows and values to create depth in drawings and paintings.

If you haven't already done so, please see my facebook page (Robert Kahler Landsape Paintings@mainepleinairpainter) and like it if you are so moved.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment